Powershell Tools Form Designer will not open in Visual Code

Tool: Visual Studio Code, PSScriptPad, PowerShell Module
Version: 5.28.0, VS Code v1.56.2

I’ve installed Powershell Pro Tools in Visual Studio Code and installed my license just fine, however, I have one minor issue… When I click on the “Show Forms Designer” button on the Far Upper Right corner of the IDE, the PSScriptPad splash page pops up for a few seconds and then disappears. It never completely starts, nothing. NO error messages, nothing, just terminates.

Can you check in event viewer to see if it’s crashing? There should be a .NET application crash if that’s the case.

I struggle with same issue. Event Viewer error is
Application: PSScriptPad.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Management.Automation.RemoteException
at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.AsyncResult.EndInvoke()
at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.CoreInvokeRemoteHelper[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.Management.Automation.PSDataCollection1<System.__Canon>, System.Management.Automation.PSDataCollection1<System.__Canon>, System.Management.Automation.PSInvocationSettings)
at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.CoreInvoke[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.Management.Automation.PSDataCollection1<System.__Canon>, System.Management.Automation.PSDataCollection1<System.__Canon>, System.Management.Automation.PSInvocationSettings)
at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.CoreInvoke[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.Collections.IEnumerable, System.Management.Automation.PSDataCollection1<System.__Canon>, System.Management.Automation.PSInvocationSettings) at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.Invoke(System.Collections.IEnumerable, System.Management.Automation.PSInvocationSettings) at PSScriptpad.Language.AnalysisService.StartAnalysis(Common.Analysis.AnalysisRequest) at FormDesigner.Host.Language.PowerShellAnalyzerTagger.Document_ParseDataChanged(System.Object, ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.ParseDataPropertyChangedEventArgs) at System.EventHandler1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].Invoke(System.Object, System.__Canon)
at ActiproSoftware.Text.Implementation.CodeDocument.OnParseDataChanged(ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.ParseDataPropertyChangedEventArgs)
at ActiproSoftware.Text.Implementation.CodeDocument.set_ParseData(ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.IParseData)
at ActiproSoftware.Text.Implementation.CodeDocument.NotifyParseComplete(ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.IParseRequest, ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.IParseData)
at ActiproSoftware.Text.Implementation.CodeDocument.ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.IParseTarget.NotifyParseComplete(ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.IParseRequest, ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.IParseData)
at ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.Implementation.ThreadedParseRequestDispatcher+sw.PHb(ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.IParseRequest)
at ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.Implementation.ThreadedParseRequestDispatcher+sw.KHI()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Thanks. I will get this resolved ASAP.

This has been released. If you update the VS Code extension or download the new version of PSScriptPad, you shouldn’t experience this issue. Please let me know if you are still having problems.

Thank you for the prompt response, that fixed it for me!

1 Like

I appreciate for your answer.