Unable to mount VHD-file from PSU Automation

Product: PowerShell Universal
Version: 2.6.2

Hi,

We are running PSU under IIS. We are using it to set up a server (or rather several remote-controlled from PSU) for transfer of large amounts of data between environments residing in different security domains. We have a setup that works but are evaluating other algorithms in order to increase transfer speeds. So, to make a long story shorter I need to mount a VHD file and extract contents from it. This works fine using the same account as the application pool in a powershell terminal, but fails when run from Automation. Execution just stops at this line under IIS:

$Drive = Mount-VHD $VHDFilePath -Passthru | Get-Disk | Get-Partition | Get-Volume

So I assume that there is some kind of execution policy preventing IIS from doing this, but I haven’t found anything in any logs and my googling has so far produced absolutely nothing, so I’m currently stumbling in the dark.

PSU indicates the job as failed, but I haven’t even been able to catch the actual error yet.

Does anyone have any idea where I should look at all?

I’ll try to replicate using a dev env not running under IIS, suspect it’ll work just fine then.

Regards,
/Fredrik

Hey Fredrik,

Have you looked in the PSU log to see if there is any info about the job failure? You can download logs by clicking Settings \ General \ Diagnostics. I wonder if there will be more info in there as to why the job may be failing.

1 Like

Ok, so this will make me look stupid now, but that’s life. I was looking at other workarounds for a day and turned back to try to find more log information for the initial problem. And…, suddenly it works.

My main theory right now is that I accidentally mangled my test data at the same time I introduced a major change, after which I’ve been looking at issues in the change rather than in the test setup.

I’ve now systematically worked back every change I made since, back to the state I was at when I had the issue, and I seem unable to repeat the problem unless I break my test data again.

1 Like

If I had a dollar for every time that happened to me :smile:. Thanks for sharing the outcome.

1 Like