Licensing issue after update to 2.5.5

Updated from 2.4.0 to 2.5.5 this morning on one of my servers. After the update I can’t seem to get the license to take. I see this in the logs.

2021-12-10 09:47:57.971 -06:00 [DBG] Reading configuration file licenses.ps1
2021-12-10 09:47:58.299 -06:00 [ERR] Failed to read configuration file. licenses.ps1
System.Management.Automation.RuntimeException: An error occurred while creating the pipeline.
—> System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException (0x80004005): External component has thrown an exception.
at System.Management.Automation.AmsiUtils.AmsiNativeMethods.AmsiScanBuffer(IntPtr amsiContext, IntPtr buffer, UInt32 length, String contentName, IntPtr amsiSession, AMSI_RESULT& result)
at System.Management.Automation.AmsiUtils.WinScanContent(String content, String sourceMetadata, Boolean warmUp)
at System.Management.Automation.CompiledScriptBlockData.PerformSecurityChecks()
at System.Management.Automation.CompiledScriptBlockData.ReallyCompile(Boolean optimize)
at System.Management.Automation.CompiledScriptBlockData.CompileUnoptimized()
at System.Management.Automation.CompiledScriptBlockData.Compile(Boolean optimized)
at System.Management.Automation.ScriptBlock.Compile(Boolean optimized)
at System.Management.Automation.DlrScriptCommandProcessor.Init()
at System.Management.Automation.DlrScriptCommandProcessor…ctor(ScriptBlock scriptBlock, ExecutionContext context, Boolean useNewScope, CommandOrigin origin, SessionStateInternal sessionState, Object dollarUnderbar)
at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.Command.CreateCommandProcessor(ExecutionContext executionContext, Boolean addToHistory, CommandOrigin origin)
at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.CreatePipelineProcessor()
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.Worker.ConstructPipelineAndDoWork(Runspace rs, Boolean performSyncInvoke)
at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.Worker.CreateRunspaceIfNeededAndDoWork(Runspace rsToUse, Boolean isSync)
at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.CoreInvokeHelper[TInput,TOutput](PSDataCollection1 input, PSDataCollection1 output, PSInvocationSettings settings)
at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.CoreInvoke[TInput,TOutput](PSDataCollection1 input, PSDataCollection1 output, PSInvocationSettings settings)
at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.Invoke[T](IEnumerable input, IList1 output, PSInvocationSettings settings) at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.Invoke[T]() at UniversalAutomation.PowerShellSerializer1.Deserialize(String script, IDatabase database, IConfigurationService configService) in D:\a\universal\universal\src\Universal.Server\Services\PowerShellSerializer.cs:line 45
at UniversalAutomation.Services.ConfigurationScript`1.ReadAsync(Boolean initialSync) in D:\a\universal\universal\src\Universal.Server\Services\Configuration\ConfigurationScript.cs:line 182

Any ideas? I tried uninstalling and going back to 2.4.0 and had the same issue. Not sure what to try at this point.

Product: PowerShell Universal
Version: 2.5.5

An Anti-Malware Scan Interface provider is throwing an exception when trying to read the license file. They are typically part of anti-virus These can include Windows Defender, ATP, and PowerShell Protect.

I’m not sure why this would happen with just the license file. I would suggest checking Windows Event Logs to see if there is anything in there that might provide some more information as to why this is happening.

Thanks, it was our Cisco Endpoint protection that is installed. It didn’t log that it was blocking anything or show any alerts which is strange.