HTTP Error 500.37 - ASP.NET Core app failed to start within startup time limit

Anyone getting this error after the latest round of ms patches? I checked the log files and there are no errors. I am hosting in IIS and tried to update to the latest 2.11 build to see if that would fix it but same error. The only other thing I can think of is my license expires tomorrow but I would think it would at least load up. Any help is appreciated.

Product: PowerShell Universal
Version: 2.11.0

Hi keninisha,

I have a very similar problem. A new Windows Server 2019 with all updates installed. Neither version 2.11 nor version 3.0 BETA 7 can be started. But in my case without IIS. I have reinstalled the server twice.

The “PowerShell Universal” service on “Local Computer” could not be started. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in time.


You’ll need to check the PowerShell Universal logs. It seems like something is failing or hanging during startup.

Try checking in %ProgramData%\PowerShellUniversal.

Only thing I am seeing in the logs is this.

2022-05-13 13:23:26.685 -04:00 [INF] User profile is available. Using ‘C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\ASP.NET\DataProtection-Keys’ as key repository and Windows DPAPI to encrypt keys at rest.

I would also check in a couple other places - First, see if there is anything in the Event Log regarding .NET events or IIS related events. The other place I would check is in the IIS output log. By default, we configure that to point to .\logs in the inetpub\wwwroot directory but is configurable in your web.config.

So I got it to load up by moving the database by moving the universalautomation folder under programdata to another temporary location. So maybe it is just database corruption? Only downside is I have to set everything up again, its not too bad though I just had some scripts running on a schedule.

You should be able to move the PS1 files back into the ProgramData folder and it will reconfigure itself using those files. I’m a bit surprised we didn’t see anything in the logs about this.

Did you happen to change the app pool identity at all? Could it be a permission thing were it’s failing to read the database.db file or the PS1 files?

No configuration changes to the app pool. Only thing I can think of is new patches being applied or some sort of corruption. I didn’t see any errors in iis logs or event viewer logs either. So its all kind of a mystery as to why the process would get hung up and not say anything. Maybe I can take a look at the old database file and compare it to the new one and see if there is anything off.

I tried copying the old repository folder with all the scripts in it back to the universalautomation folder and its back to http error 500.37. I then tried deleting license.ps1 and restarting and its back online so I guess the expired license is crashing it. I also tried uploading the license again through the license page and it is just stuck with the spinning icon lol. I can send you my key if you would like to reproduce the bug.

That’d be great. Can you open a case with That’ll be an easy way to send the license file.