HTTP Error 500.37 - ASP.NET Core app failed to start within startup time limit

Anyone getting this error after the latest round of ms patches? I checked the log files and there are no errors. I am hosting in IIS and tried to update to the latest 2.11 build to see if that would fix it but same error. The only other thing I can think of is my license expires tomorrow but I would think it would at least load up. Any help is appreciated.

Product: PowerShell Universal
Version: 2.11.0

Hi keninisha,

I have a very similar problem. A new Windows Server 2019 with all updates installed. Neither version 2.11 nor version 3.0 BETA 7 can be started. But in my case without IIS. I have reinstalled the server twice.

The “PowerShell Universal” service on “Local Computer” could not be started. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in time.

2022-05-16_17h14_57

You’ll need to check the PowerShell Universal logs. It seems like something is failing or hanging during startup.

Try checking in %ProgramData%\PowerShellUniversal.

Only thing I am seeing in the logs is this.

2022-05-13 13:23:26.685 -04:00 [INF] User profile is available. Using ‘C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\ASP.NET\DataProtection-Keys’ as key repository and Windows DPAPI to encrypt keys at rest.

I would also check in a couple other places - First, see if there is anything in the Event Log regarding .NET events or IIS related events. The other place I would check is in the IIS output log. By default, we configure that to point to .\logs in the inetpub\wwwroot directory but is configurable in your web.config.

So I got it to load up by moving the database by moving the universalautomation folder under programdata to another temporary location. So maybe it is just database corruption? Only downside is I have to set everything up again, its not too bad though I just had some scripts running on a schedule.

You should be able to move the PS1 files back into the ProgramData folder and it will reconfigure itself using those files. I’m a bit surprised we didn’t see anything in the logs about this.

Did you happen to change the app pool identity at all? Could it be a permission thing were it’s failing to read the database.db file or the PS1 files?

No configuration changes to the app pool. Only thing I can think of is new patches being applied or some sort of corruption. I didn’t see any errors in iis logs or event viewer logs either. So its all kind of a mystery as to why the process would get hung up and not say anything. Maybe I can take a look at the old database file and compare it to the new one and see if there is anything off.

I tried copying the old repository folder with all the scripts in it back to the universalautomation folder and its back to http error 500.37. I then tried deleting license.ps1 and restarting and its back online so I guess the expired license is crashing it. I also tried uploading the license again through the license page and it is just stuck with the spinning icon lol. I can send you my key if you would like to reproduce the bug.

That’d be great. Can you open a case with support@ironmansoftware.com? That’ll be an easy way to send the license file.