Cannot remove or edit api's and identities after created

About ready to give up on trying to get this to work… i’ve installed this twice on Windows 10 and had it working great in under 10 min… here it is a week later and i STILL can’t get this working on windows 2019 server headless… The installer just kep “rolling back” the installation before it was finished so i went down the IIS rabit hole… now i finally have it to where i thought it was working but it’s not right. I can add a api and it partially gets created but when i go to add code to it i receive “failed to update endpoint”… it will not let me delete the api or add any code to it. Also in identities i have the admin account and a previous attempt i was able to get other users added but whenever i try to update the Role on the identities i receive “failed to update identity”… i can see the identities and apis in the repository folder but it does not seem like i can access them once they are there… i do have IIS running as a service account with i explicitly confirmed has read/write access to the install directory and db. I’ve also enable auditing to ensure there’s no “failure” to access a file (which there isn’t).

So… has anyone run into this? If not which logs would be the one to bump to debug level? I have the whole app installed in it’s own directory (including db).

Thanks in advance…

I haven’t seen this issue specifically. I’ll open an issue for the installer. I haven’t tried it on 2019 headless but it should work there and seems like it’s busted.

Have you configured your appsettings.json file? Logs should be going to %ProgramData\PowerShellUniversal by default.

Appsettings.json is also where you configure the log level.

"Logging": {
      "Path":"%PROGRAMDATA%/PowerShellUniversal/log.txt",
      "LogLevel": {
      "Default": "Information",
      "Microsoft": "Warning",
      "Microsoft.Hosting.Lifetime": "Information"
      }
    },

A log would be helpful to figure out what’s going on. I may want some more info so if you can provide the logs, I’ll take a peek and then maybe we can jump on a call to get it sorted.

this is what i have in the appsettings.json file…

“Logging”: {
“Path”:“c:/PowerShellUniversalServer/PowerShellUniversal/log.txt”,
“LogLevel”: {
“Default”: “Information”,
“Microsoft”: “Warning”,
“Microsoft.Hosting.Lifetime”: “Information”
}
},

I’ve changed those from their current levels to “Debug” and will restart and reproduce the issue what’s the best way to get the log file to you?

Email me at adam@poshtools.com

Sent… two seperate emails i didn’t see “debug” in the first one i sent then found the second logging location which did have debug and sent that to you as well.

1 Like

For anyone finding this issue, the problem was with the WebDav Publishing feature of IIS. It will prevent PUT and DELETE methods from being called in IIS which will allow you to create and get items in the admin console but not update or delete them. We’ll be adding this tidbit to the docs for IIS hosting.