PowerShell Universal - 3.5.2

PowerShell Universal - 3.5.2

Release Notes

APIs

• Fixed an issue where viewing the API page could result in a JavaScript error
  • Fixed an issue where the bottom of API endpoint scripts could not be viewed.
  • Fixed an issue where streams (warning, error, verbose, information) would cause APIs to throw an object reference exception.

Automation

• Add some more logging about job timeouts to help identify an issue with them.
  • Fixed an issue where Get-PSUJobFeedback and Get-PSUJobParameter would not return data when using -Integrated
  • Fixed an issue where parameter sets were not always correctly defined
  • Fixed an UI issue with the schedule properties dialog

Dashboards

• Fixed an issue where -HideUserName didn’t work on New-UDPage or New-UDDashboard when using Windows Authentication

Platforms

• Fixed an issue where the Agent environment wouldn’t have a version.

Downloads

I’ve tried installing all of the 3.5 versions and it gets to the point of starting the service and it never is able to start the service. I went back to 3.4 installer and see that it prompts for things such as the service account username/password, but I’m not seeing that on this installer. Don’t know if that is the issue or not.

It will no longer prompt if an appsettings.json file exists in C:\ProgramData\PowerShellUniversal since it will use those settings.

As for the service not starting, can you please send me a log file from C:\ProgramData\PowerShellUniversal and let me know if there are any .NET errors in the event log?

you be spittin out releases faster than I can transfer them to the server on our shitty VPN :smiley:

1 Like

Failed to start 3.5.2 here too, this is what I got in my logs

2022-11-10 17:17:47.199 -05:00 [ERR] Connection id "0HMLOGSLKA81V", Request id "0HMLOGSLKA81V:00000012": An unhandled exception was thrown by the application.
Grpc.Core.RpcException: Status(StatusCode="Unknown", Detail="Stream removed", DebugException="Grpc.Core.Internal.CoreErrorDetailException: {"created":"@1668118667.193000000","description":"Error received from peer ipv6:[::1]:56559","file":"..\..\..\src\core\lib\surface\call.cc","file_line":953,"grpc_message":"Stream removed","grpc_status":2}")
   at ProtoBuf.Grpc.Internal.Reshape.UnaryTaskAsyncImpl[TRequest,TResponse](AsyncUnaryCall`1 call, MetadataContext metadata, CancellationToken cancellationToken) in /_/src/protobuf-net.Grpc/Internal/Reshape.cs:line 300
   at Universal.Server.Services.DashboardProxy.ExecuteEndpoint(DashboardExecuteEndpointRequest request) in C:\actions-runner\_work\universal\universal\src\Universal.Server\Services\Dashboard\DashboardProxy.cs:line 492
   at UniversalDashboard.Controllers.UDComponentController.RunScript(String endpointId, Dictionary`2 parameters, Boolean form) in C:\actions-runner\_work\universal\universal\src\Universal.Server\Controllers\UDComponentController.cs:line 199
   at UniversalDashboard.Controllers.UDComponentController.Element(String id) in C:\actions-runner\_work\universal\universal\src\Universal.Server\Controllers\UDComponentController.cs:line 355
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ActionMethodExecutor.TaskOfIActionResultExecutor.Execute(IActionResultTypeMapper mapper, ObjectMethodExecutor executor, Object controller, Object[] arguments)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionMethodAsync>g__Awaited|12_0(ControllerActionInvoker invoker, ValueTask`1 actionResultValueTask)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeNextActionFilterAsync>g__Awaited|10_0(ControllerActionInvoker invoker, Task lastTask, State next, Scope scope, Object state, Boolean isCompleted)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.Rethrow(ActionExecutedContextSealed context)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.Next(State& next, Scope& scope, Object& state, Boolean& isCompleted)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeInnerFilterAsync>g__Awaited|13_0(ControllerActionInvoker invoker, Task lastTask, State next, Scope scope, Object state, Boolean isCompleted)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ResourceInvoker.<InvokeNextResourceFilter>g__Awaited|25_0(ResourceInvoker invoker, Task lastTask, State next, Scope scope, Object state, Boolean isCompleted)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ResourceInvoker.Rethrow(ResourceExecutedContextSealed context)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ResourceInvoker.Next(State& next, Scope& scope, Object& state, Boolean& isCompleted)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ResourceInvoker.<InvokeFilterPipelineAsync>g__Awaited|20_0(ResourceInvoker invoker, Task lastTask, State next, Scope scope, Object state, Boolean isCompleted)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ResourceInvoker.<InvokeAsync>g__Awaited|17_0(ResourceInvoker invoker, Task task, IDisposable scope)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ResourceInvoker.<InvokeAsync>g__Awaited|17_0(ResourceInvoker invoker, Task task, IDisposable scope)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Routing.EndpointMiddleware.<Invoke>g__AwaitRequestTask|6_0(Endpoint endpoint, Task requestTask, ILogger logger)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authorization.AuthorizationMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)
   at PowerShellUniversal.DisallowedModeMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context, RequestDelegate next) in C:\actions-runner\_work\universal\universal\src\Universal.Server\Middleware\ModeMiddleware.cs:line 47
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Builder.UseMiddlewareExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass6_1.<<UseMiddlewareInterface>b__1>d.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at Universal.Server.Middleware.RoutingMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext httpContext, IPolicyEvaluator policyEvaluator) in C:\actions-runner\_work\universal\universal\src\Universal.Server\Middleware\RoutingMiddleware.cs:line 155
   at Swashbuckle.AspNetCore.SwaggerUI.SwaggerUIMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext httpContext)
   at Swashbuckle.AspNetCore.Swagger.SwaggerMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext httpContext, ISwaggerProvider swaggerProvider)
   at Universal.Server.Middleware.SwaggerAuthenticationMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context, RequestDelegate next) in C:\actions-runner\_work\universal\universal\src\Universal.Server\Middleware\SwaggerAuthMiddleware.cs:line 42
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Builder.UseMiddlewareExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass6_1.<<UseMiddlewareInterface>b__1>d.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at AspNetCoreRateLimit.RateLimitMiddleware`1.Invoke(HttpContext context) in C:\actions-runner\_work\universal\universal\src\AspNetCoreRateLimit\Middleware\RateLimitMiddleware.cs:line 109
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Session.SessionMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Session.SessionMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Diagnostics.StatusCodePagesMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.ResponseCompression.ResponseCompressionMiddleware.InvokeCore(HttpContext context)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authentication.AuthenticationMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.Kestrel.Core.Internal.Http.HttpProtocol.ProcessRequests[TContext](IHttpApplication`1 application)

Hmmm that seems related to dashboards and I’d be surprised if that actually crashed the process. I’m not saying it’s not related but could just be a symptom of something else. Could you send me a full log? (support@ironmansoftware.com).

I’d also suggest checking in Event Viewer for any .NET Errors because they typically show up in there when an unhandled exception occurs and causes the process to terminate.

Email sent, no .Net errors found.

I wasn’t seeing any log files being created. The only errors in the event logs were about the service not responding in a timely basis. I renamed my appsettings.json, uninstalled the previous version and reinstalled it. It installed fine and was able to start the service. I then changed back to the old appsettings.json and restarted the service with no issues. I will also note that I am using SQL for the database and not litedb, so don’t know if that might be making a difference.

Issue fixed with 3.5.5 for me.

1 Like