Universal Dashboard 2.7 and UDStudio

I’ve just released PowerShell Universal Dashboard 2.7 and the first version of UDStudio. Please read more here: https://ironmansoftware.com/universal-dashboard-2-7-and-udstudio/

6 Likes

Hi @adam This is great news! Quick question: can UDStudio support remote sessions? In other words, I’m running VSCode from my client connecting to a licensed dashboard running under IIS on a Win2016 server. I’d like to debug endpoints, etc. running under that dashboard.

Thanks,
Jim

Not at the moment. It’s in the plan but UDStudio only supports local debugging at the moment.

Thanks for the fast response!

With the license being required for UDStudio, I have 2 questions:

1: Where do you have to install the license?
2: Is there an issue if i am running the license on 2 machines? 1 being my production IIS instance, the others being the various machines i use to develop my dashboard?

You can install it using the same methods are UD: https://docs.universaldashboard.io/licensing

There is also a UDStudio: Install License command in VS Code you can use to install the license.

If you are running UD and UDStudio at the same time on two different machines, then you will need two licenses.

That significantly reduces how useful that Extension is. I can’t turn off my production dashboard and I can’t get approval for a second license for something i have gone without up to this point.

I would urge you to reconsider the fact that you would need 2 licenses to develop while you are running a dashboard.

1 Like

Understood. I’m sure you’re not the only one in the situation. Let me see how we can make this better either by changing the licensing terms or changing something technically.

1 Like

I’ve published a new version without the license key check for the time being. It also fixes a problem where the tree view wouldn’t show up for endpoints that had $null variables in them.

Neat stuff. I imagine there isn’t a way currently to use UDStudio with a dashboard running in IIS? Have gotten it to work when I run a dashboard from VS Code, of course.

Thanks for the awesome work, Adam. Always fun to play around with these new things!

1 Like

I can’t seem to get UDStudio working. I updated to 2.7, installed UDStudio, refreshed my running dashboards, and UDStudio doesn’t seem to be picking them up in the Activity Pane. When I click on the Refresh icon, I get an error:

"Cannot read property 'toString' of undefined
An item with the same key has already been added.

Can you verify that you upgraded to 0.1.1? I released a fix for this but it might still pop up if I missed something.

No IIS support yet. I would love to get remote debugging working but it’s not trivial. It’s in the plan though.

Oh, I don’t doubt it. Just wanted to verify that I hadn’t messed something up. Thanks for the reply.

@adam. Yes, I’m on 0.1.1 of UDStudio, VSCode 1.38.1 (if that helps).

Can you DM me the dashboard you are running?

I’d have to spend time redacting a lot of the functions, as its for user management for our students and would expose stuff like our OU structures, etc. Curious, should I be calling Start-UDDashboard in the script or in the VSCode terminal? I’m currently calling it like this in the .ps1 and then running it in the terminal:

$Dashboard = New-UDDashboard -Title "Foo" -Footer $Footer -Theme $Theme -LoginPage $LoginPage -Pages (@$WelcomePage,$UsersPage)
Start-UDDashboard -Dashboard $Dashboard -Port 10001 -AllowHttpForLogin -AutoReload

I had another user that was having this issue and it had to do with their login page. Whenever we removed it, the error went away but I couldn’t reproduce it. You should be able to start the dashboard either way and it should work.

Yep, that’s the culprit. I removed the -Login $LoginPage from the dashboard and it showed up in UDStudio’s Activity Pane. I had it put it back due to the nature of this dashboard, though.

That’s ok. It gives me something to go on at least. Thanks! I’ll see if I can figure something out and get an update posted.