Trouble Getting Universal Completely running

Product: PowerShell Universal
Version: 1.5.14

Having trouble with VSCode and Universal. Not sure where to start whether its universal or vs code.
Seems the server is running, I can bring up the website.

inside vscode when I try to “Open Dashboard File” I get this error from VSCode
C:\ProgramData\UniversalAutomation\Repository\C:\ProgramData\UniversalAutomation\Repository\Reports.ps1. If you have local editing on and are accessing a remote file, you may need to turn off local editing.

Tried installing on a different machine. Completely remove VSCode, any remnants of Universal.
The server is running, I created a dashboard inside Universal.
When I start up the extension in VSCode all the side panels seem to fill in properly but I continually get this error:
The terminal process "C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal\Universal.Server.exe" terminated with exit code: 3762504530.

Still a different machine, different results but still not connected up properly

More Info:
Event Viewer Shows:

Application: Universal.Server.exe
CoreCLR Version: 4.700.19.56402
.NET Core Version: 3.1.0
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path C:\ProgramData\UniversalAutomation\database.db is denied.

@adam I can’t recall, but I believe not too long ago there were some compatibility issues with Pwsh. If that is the case, are there still some issues around using Pwsh.exe vs PowerShell.exe with the extension?

I ask because I’m also having some issues with the Universal VSCode Extension. I’m seeing a lot of the following:

The connection to the terminal's pty host process is unresponsive, the terminals may stop working.

More Info:
Spent hours yesterday trying to figure this out.
I had to remove everything, making sure there wasn’t anything in any folder including vscode extensions.

I reinstalled according the video, installing the extension first and allowing vscode to ask to download. Then downloaded the MSI. Which I realized is actually the server that gets installed as a service.
I then had to uncheck the extension option “Start Server”
Then had to put the correct server path in the “Server Path” setting.

Very frustrated with the product at this point, hope it gets better.

It seems to be working

Are you doing the IIS install, or running as Windows Service?

1 Like

I followed the video that adam put in “Getting Started”, I installed using the MSI, apparently that creates a windows service.

I found what I think may actually be the problem. Yesterday I noticed that issues with visual studio code.
it kept asking me to update, found that there were 2 version of code in 2 different locations. I removed the older version.

Things seem to be working much better. Not sure everything is ok yet, but much better.

For reference, I created a document when I was first installing. I used the ZIP install rather than MSI, but it contains all the other items we needed to address. You may find some use for it:

[Install New.docx - Google Drive]