Trial user: Unable to fully set up Azure Web App (docker)

Product: PowerShell Universal
Version: 4.2.9

I’m new to PowerShell Universal and am in the 14-day trial period. I’m trying to get it up and running in an Azure web app. I’m sure I’m missing something obvious, but I am following the Azure guide in the docs. I’m using the tagged container from Docker Hub: ironmansoftware/universal:4.2.9-ubuntu-20.04

When I let it run at first, it appears to work. However, I want to enable SQL and have set up an Azure SQL db which I’m authenticating against with a System Managed Identity. Here is my connection string: Server=<insert host>.database.windows.net;Database=<insert db name>;Encrypt=True;Connection Timeout=10;Authentication=Active Directory Managed Identity;

Again, this appears to work properly and I see the tables being created, I can log in, etc.

What I’m not understanding is how to persist data. When I add the WEBSITES_ENABLE_APP_SERVICE_STORAGE env to my web app configuration, the app ceases to run. I saw there was an option to use Azure Files but it is not recommended if you’re using git which I intend to.

To sum up, I think I’m close, but I can’t seem to nail the data persistence. Do I even need that if SQL is involved? Just want to make sure this setup is “production-ready” so I can finish testing it during our trial.

This is the env variables that I’ve got set in the app configuration:

[
  {
    "name": "ASPNETCORE_FORWARDEDHEADERS_ENABLED",
    "value": "true",
    "slotSetting": false
  },
  {
    "name": "Data__ConnectionString",
    "value": "Server=<insert host>.database.windows.net;Database=<insert db name>;Encrypt=True;Connection Timeout=10;Authentication=Active Directory Managed Identity;",
  },
  {
    "name": "DOCKER_REGISTRY_SERVER_URL",
    "value": "https://index.docker.io/v1",
  },
  {
    "name": "NodeName",
    "value": "<insert node name>",
  },
  {
    "name": "Plugins__0",
    "value": "SQL",
  },
  {
    "name": "TZ",
    "value": "America/New_York",
  },
  {
    "name": "WEBSITES_ENABLE_APP_SERVICE_STORAGE",
    "value": "true",
  },
  {
    "name": "WEBSITES_PORT",
    "value": "5000",
  }
]

I also have set the web app to “always on” which I read on one forum post.

Any help would be appreciated!

Update: I have now purchased a license!

I can’t help but feel like my instance needs persistent storage in addition to SQL because I lose some configuration if I restart the web app.

Looking to get some help here making sure my web app is production ready (have some code ready to live here to sync some important data for one of our teams). I’m open to rearchitecting the whole set up as long as 1) it stays in Azure and 2) there’s no underlying OS to babysit.

@Support

This is now resolved.