PowerShell Universal v3 Videos - Beta1

I made a couple of videos about PowerShell Universal v3.

SQL Server Support

Universal Dashboard Updates

Live Logging

6 Likes

Nice! Excited for the new release!
Any scheduled release timeline?

Depending on internal and external feedback it will either be in May or June.

1 Like

Awesome! Looking forward to it! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Adam,

can you share an example of the SQL connection string u used?
i tried to form the string during msi install but it didnt work for me.
i kept getting “The service did not respond to the start or control request
in a timely fashion” error.

thanks

tony

1 Like

Super excited about the implementation of the schema forms! Great stuff!

1 Like

Hey @indianwind

I thought it looked something similar to his, because I believe it is using JDBC connection to the database:

jdbc:sqlserver://server.domain.net:1433;DatabaseName=DatabaseNameHere;integratedSecurity=true;authenticationScheme=NTLM

If you are using domain authentication for your database, add on:

;domainName=domain.net

Replace with you information and see if that works. I am using a domain account to login to our SQL Server Instance.

I was using this configuration: LocalDB named instance - Microsoft.Data.SqlClient - ConnectionStrings.com

I typically use this website to figure out all my connection strings: SQL Server 2019 connection strings - ConnectionStrings.com

Hi Mike/Adam,

thx for the help.
i tried to reinstall PS 3 and modified the conn and got the
following error.
any idea where i did wrong?

thanks

Can you grab a log from %ProgramData%\PowerShellUniversal? It’ll probably have a more descriptive error.

somehow, the error i’m getting today doesn’t show up in this folder @@

let’s say i reinstalled another default installation instance on my laptop
with liteDB database
how can i redirect the db to my MS SQL server and have it
populate the db configuration, tables, views and etc in MS SQL?
is there a SQL script i need to run after i manually create the
db in MS SQL?

In the Plugins section, you would change it to SQL rather than UniversalAutomation.LiteDBv5 and the ConnectionString would be your SQL connection string. Then you’d have to restart the PSU service.

do you just create a blank db in SQL server and change your conn to point it there?
do you mind sharing your SQL conn string? caz as my previous post
i tried “server=xx;database=YY;User ID=ZZ;Password=XXXXX;”
but the service couldn’t be started ><

I was having the same struggle as you here and gave up on trying this new beta because of this.

No useful error description, just the “Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.”

I’ve tried a number of connection strings but it doesn’t seem to want to connect.

1 Like

Can you let me know what version of SQL server you are using? I’ll setup a clean environment to give it a test.

SQL Server 2019 Standard.
Clean installation.

1 Like

I just ran through this myself and it worked for me. This is the SQL CN I’m using.

Server=myServerAddress;Database=myDataBase;User Id=myUsername;Password=myPassword;

I did use the SA account.

Server=ADAMDESK;Database=PSU;User Id=sa;Password=MySaPassword;

Can either of you send a log file from %ProgramData%\PowerShellUniversal?

2022-05-11 14:01:37.067 +08:00 [INF] User profile is available. Using ‘C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\ASP.NET\DataProtection-Keys’ as key repository and Windows DPAPI to encrypt keys at rest.
2022-05-11 14:07:06.099 +08:00 [INF] User profile is available. Using ‘C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\ASP.NET\DataProtection-Keys’ as key repository and Windows DPAPI to encrypt keys at rest.