Nightly 1.4.0 won't start

Hey there !

Does anyone faced the same problem with the latest nightly build 1.4.0.

Hosting on a Windows server 2019 - IIS 10 - SSL

It works perfectly well with 1.3.1 and 1.3.2 so far

Error:

Application: Universal.Server.exe
CoreCLR Version: 4.700.19.56402
.NET Core Version: 3.1.0
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter ‘value’)
at Google.Protobuf.ProtoPreconditions.CheckNotNull[T](T value, String name)
at variable.set_Value(String value) in D:\a\universal\universal\src\Protocol\obj\Release\netstandard2.0\Common.cs:line 619
at Universal.Server.Services.EnvironmentService.GetEnvironmentMessage(String startUpScript, ExecutionEnvironment environment) in D:\a\universal\universal\src\UniversalAutomation\Services\EnvironmentService.cs:line 35
at Universal.Server.Services.ApiProxy.Start() in D:\a\universal\universal\src\Universal.Server\Services\ApiProxy.cs:line 109
at UniversalAutomation.StartupService.StartAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken) in D:\a\universal\universal\src\Universal.Server\Services\StartupService.cs:line 67
at Microsoft.Extensions.Hosting.Internal.Host.StartAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Microsoft.Extensions.Hosting.HostingAbstractionsHostExtensions.RunAsync(IHost host, CancellationToken token)
at Microsoft.Extensions.Hosting.HostingAbstractionsHostExtensions.RunAsync(IHost host, CancellationToken token)
at Microsoft.Extensions.Hosting.HostingAbstractionsHostExtensions.Run(IHost host)
at Universal.Server.Program.Main(String args) in D:\a\universal\universal\src\Universal.Server\Program.cs:line 30

thx in advance !

Is this an upgrade on an existing 1.3 server?

yes sir ! as I usually did so far !

Cool. I’ll do some upgrade testing today. I have a feeling one of our upgrade scripts has a bug in it.

If I can help you, feel free to ask !

1 Like

This should be fix in tonight’s nightly build.

I did test the last nightly build, but still not working. Here is the error I’m getting:

Category: Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.Diagnostics
EventId: 6

Application startup exception

Exception:
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter ‘value’)
at System.Boolean.Parse(String value)
at Universal.Server.Startup.Configure(IApplicationBuilder app, IWebHostEnvironment env) in D:\a\universal\universal\src\Universal.Server\Startup.cs:line 411
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor, Boolean wrapExceptions)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.ConfigureBuilder.Invoke(Object instance, IApplicationBuilder builder)
at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.ConfigureBuilder.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.b__0(IApplicationBuilder builder)
at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.GenericWebHostBuilder.<>c__DisplayClass13_0.b__2(IApplicationBuilder app)
at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Filters.MiddlewareFilterBuilderStartupFilter.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.g__MiddlewareFilterBuilder|0(IApplicationBuilder builder)
at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.IISIntegration.IISSetupFilter.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.b__0(IApplicationBuilder app)
at Microsoft.AspNetCore.HostFilteringStartupFilter.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.b__0(IApplicationBuilder app)
at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.GenericWebHostService.StartAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)

any ideas?

Hmmm that’s weird. Looks like your appsettings.json didn’t update.

Make sure you have this at the bottom:

"UniversalDashboard": {
    "AssetsFolder": "%ProgramData%\\PowerShellUniversal\\Dashboard"
  },
  "ShowDevTools": false,
  "HideAdminConsole": false
}

It looks to be missing HideAdminConsole. I’ve added some code to make this more resilent.

yep you were right, both “ShowDevTools” and “HideAdminConsole” weren’t in the json file.

but still the admin console ain’t starting, I have the following errors in the log, I’d say that it fails to load dashboard components. API are working, Server seems like it’s running, as well as automation as grooming tasks are running. Only Dashboards and Admin UI seems to fail.

fail: Universal.Server.Services.DashboardAssetManager[0]
The specified RequiredModules entry ‘Universal’ in the module manifest ‘D:\PSU\DEV\267828771-Universal.win-x64.1.4.0\UniversalDashboard\Frameworks\v2\UniversalDashboard.psd1’ is invalid. Try again after updating this entry with valid values.
The specified RequiredModules entry ‘Universal’ in the module manifest ‘D:\PSU\DEV\267828771-Universal.win-x64.1.4.0\UniversalDashboard\Frameworks\v3\UniversalDashboard.psd1’ is invalid. Try again after updating this entry with valid values.
The specified module ‘D:\PSU\DEV\267828771-Universal.win-x64.1.4.0\UniversalDashboard\Components\UniversalDashboard.CodeEditor*.psd1’ was not loaded because no valid module file was found in any module directory.
Failed to read component module.

every files that are considered invalid exists and are in the folders.

Can you grab the latest nightly? It looks like even with the fix to the appsettings.json there was still an issue. I ran a new nightly build.

Hello Adam !

Things work great with release 269667765. Thx a lot for your help !