A few questions from a rookie learning

Hi,

first sorry for a lengthy post. I have 3 questions near the bottom.

I recently jumped into universal dashboard and created a few dashboards mostly by looking at what others have done. Essentially we installed UniversalDashboard.community as per instructions here How to Install and use UniversalDashboard.Community with IIS

now I am understanding the UniversalDashboard community is different than Powershell Universal so we have now installed powershell universal including the PSUserver.

so I am trying to load into PSU server a couple of dashboards that I created and ran successfully under UniversalDashboard community. ( I did the getting started walk through as well where I created the HelloWorld Click me example and endpoint example etc.)

In the admin portal, when I took the 2 dashboards that I created in UD community and added them as new dashboards in Powershell Universal, It seems like the dashboards dont come up. One of them says started and the other says starting.

i have now the HelloWorld that i can view. But the other too done see to view and says “!Dashboard is not running”

in the admin portal, I cant effectively stop any of these or restart them even though the notifications say it was stopped or restarted… the status still shows started for helloworld, started for another dashboard and starting for a third.

Couple Questions

1. Should I be able to bring in dashboards made in UD community and have them work in PS Universal?

2. Why doesnt the portal reflect the proper status or allow me to stop and start etc?

3. Are there logs where I can see why the 2 dashboards arent working?

thanks in advance
Lance

@lancelyons
to answer your questions
1- NO you cannot bring dashboards created in community without rewarking your code cause PSU is a new framework and a lot of the cmdlts and components has been changes/modified.
2-the portal is trying to start the dashboard and is unable to because of an error in the code.
3- logs are available in psu portal logs.

I am having the same issue on a basic helloworld (from getting started) just stopping the dashboard in the portal. This should be easy.

I am trying to stop it and it just keeps spinning. The logs in the admin portal are empty.

i must be doing something incorrect.

Also on a simple chart example from the documentation, I have this dashboard and its not starting.

You might be having a problem with conflicts from another UD version.

What’d I would recommend would be to remove those. You can find them here:

Get-Module UniversalDashboard -List

I was able to find this version but it does not seem to let me uninstall. I did also uninstall UniversalDashboard.Community

ModuleType Version    Name                                ExportedCommands
---------- -------    ----                                ----------------
Script     4.1.0      UniversalDashboard                  {New-UDNivoChart, New-UDNivoChartAxisOptions, New-UDNivoFi...

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal> Uinstall-Module UniversalDashboard
Uinstall-Module : The term 'Uinstall-Module' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try
again.
At line:1 char:1
+ Uinstall-Module UniversalDashboard
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Uinstall-Module:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

so the module 4.1.0 listed above was installed with the .msi from powershell universal.

I also had installed the below.

1. Install-Module Universal

2 Install-PSUServer

I am a little confused as to which one to use.

after uninstalling the .msi the admin portal would not come up.

i went ahead and did install-PSUServer and the portal is back up but I still cant stop a simple dashboard.

I was able to get this to work by uninstalling everything with Universal, UniversalDashboard and PSUServer and then starting over.

It looks like if one dashboard has an error it could cause the others to not be able to stop and start. Not 100 percent on the last statement.