What is the best way to run dashboard scripts in parallel?

Product: PowerShell Universal
Version: 2.7

On my dashboard script I have a foreach loop that executes a series of queries to return data for each server and it stores it in an array of hashtables, which is ultimately what I use to populate my UDTable. What is the proper way of executing this foreach loop in parallel in regards to Powershell Universal?

Hey, Take a look at the docs here:

If you utilize scripts in PSU, you can have them run on triggers such as ‘dashboard start’ or cron/scheduled expressions like every hour etc.
You can then call the data/output directly from those scripts in your dashboards.
PSU will handle parallel jobs for you this way - you can chance concurrency in the admin menu.

I guess the issue with this is that I would need to get the timing right between the two. Let’s say I have a dashboard that refreshes every 60 seconds and 5 SQL scripts that need to run and return data, but those SQL scripts take 50 seconds (10 seconds each). I need my dashboard table to refresh every 60 seconds and contain the data from all 5 SQL runs.

Not sure I follow, There’s lots of ways to tackle what I think you’re trying to achieve though.
Lookup the docs for pre-loaders on your tables, also look up skeletons, finally lookup the Sync-UDElement command which would effectively allow you to push an update to the table as soon as the data is refreshed, rather than the other way around.

But if the scripts are running in parallel, it would only take 10 seconds to pull the data not 50.
if you want to update your tables every 10 seconds, you could just sync them from the script getting the data.

Also take a look at the $cache variable scope in the docs too, that might be useful to you if you’re not already using it and dont want to use the direct job output in your tables

If I have a dashboard with a table setup to automatically refresh every 60 seconds does it only re-query the data when a user has the webpage open and also does it execute 1 query per page that is open? It is my understanding that Powershell Universal runs the refresh interval even when the page is not open and also it only runs 1x regardless of how many users have the dashboard open… is this correct?

I am aware of sync-udelement, but what would I wrap that in so that it runs autonomously on a schedule? Would I just wrap it in a New-UDElement with a refresh interval set?

New-UDElement -Tag 'div' -Endpoint {
Get-Date
} -AutoRefresh -RefreshInterval 1

If I do decide to use Scripts, can I trigger a dashboard refresh after the script is complete or does my dashboard need to constantly poll the Script to look for new data to refresh with?

Edit: One last thing that is sort of unrelated, but will effect how I architect my dashboards… Is there a way to “pause” the refresh with a button so that if I am looking at my dashboard I can temporarily prevent it from refreshing on my screen? I haven’t been able to find any functionality that would allow me to do this within the docs or forums.

The page code that the user visits is executed when they hit the page. Therefore, if you have an auto refresh every 60 seconds, its happening for that user in their session.
If you have 10 users, its running the page code 10x, and you’ll have the refresh happening individually for each user. Now if you’re running your script to pull that data for the table in the same page, that were duplication of effort comes in.
Sometimes it’s feasible to do it this way, lets say you pull from a very quick SQL table, and you’re only accessing a small dataset and not many users, shouldnt be an issue as it’s quick and wont hang anything.
But if you for example have an API you want to pull data from, a large data set, and alot of users.
It’s going to take time, and people will notice loading times for pages and components as the data is gathered.

Personally the way I’d approach this is by adding a script in the automation part of PSU to gather the data required for your table.
This is outside the dashboard page code and thus can be configured on a schedule - e.g dashboard start, or at a regular time interval.
It will only run when it is scheduled, so not multiple times depending on visiting users.

In your page code, you can use the commands to get PSU job and it’s data into a variable.
Wrap the whole table in a dynamic element.
You can remove the autorefresh you have, and just put a sync-udelement inside your scheduled script, at the end, that way it will update the table when it completes, you can use a -broadcast flag so that any one browsing the page with that element on it will have it updated.

That’s the way I would approach it, but there are other ways in which it can be achieved.
As for pausing refreshes… without playing around with it I’m not sure, but it’s possible you can have a dynamic region wrapping everything, with any auto refreshing elements inside that, have the parameters set to autorefresh based on a variable which when the user clicks a button to pause two things happen.

1. the button updates the variable used to turn auto refresh on and off (could use splatting to make this easier and just clear the hashtable or add autorefresh / refreshinterval depending on requirements.
  2. the button refreshes the entire dynamic region, and therfore re-renders any components with your now changed splatted hashtable that tells those components if they should be auto refreshing or not.