REST API - 401, role problems

Hello :slight_smile:
so the last nightly build, corrected the https problem i had … .but there seem to be a problem with the roles now.

here is a simple test

$Test = New-UDEndpoint -Url "/test" -Method GET -Endpoint {
	"a"
} -AuthorizedRole "Admin"

$AuthMethod = New-UDAuthenticationMethod -Endpoint {
  param([PSCredential]$Credential)
  $role = @('Admin')
  $token = Grant-UDJsonWebToken -Identity $Credential.UserName -Role $role
  New-UDAuthenticationResult -Success -UserName $Credential.UserName -Token $token -Role $role
}

Start-UDRestApi -Port 10001 -Endpoint @(
  $Test
) -AuthenticationMethod $AuthMethod

I can get a token, but then if i test my test route i get a 401 unauthorized return

PS C:\Temp> 10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.Internal.WebHost Request starting HTTP/1.1 GET http://localhost:10001/api/test
10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Internal.ControllerActionInvoker Route matched with {action = "GetEndpoint", controller = "Component"}. Executing action UniversalDashboard.Controllers.ComponentController.GetEndpoint (UniversalDashboard)
10:29:49 [Debug] AuthorizationHandler Configuring authorization for session:47df1c52-e18b-48bb-b3cd-f5f04a78045d
10:29:49 [Debug] AuthorizationHandler No valid authorization policies for session.
10:29:49 [Debug] AuthorizationHandler No valid roles for session.
10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authorization.DefaultAuthorizationService Authorization failed.
10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Internal.ControllerActionInvoker Authorization failed for the request at filter 'Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Authorization.AuthorizeFilter'.
10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.ChallengeResult Executing ChallengeResult with authentication schemes (Cookies).
10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authentication.Cookies.CookieAuthenticationHandler AuthenticationScheme: Cookies was challenged.
10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Internal.ControllerActionInvoker Executed action UniversalDashboard.Controllers.ComponentController.GetEndpoint (UniversalDashboard) in 2.2556ms
10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Session.DistributedSession Session started; Key:6e36d955-940b-52c4-ed87-4c8e5eebe214, Id:c77fcfa3-df02-b237-e714-1adc06b6674b
10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Internal.ControllerActionInvoker Route matched with {action = "GetEndpoint", controller = "Component"}. Executing action UniversalDashboard.Controllers.ComponentController.GetEndpoint (UniversalDashboard)
10:29:49 [Debug] AuthorizationHandler Configuring authorization for session:2c18bc5a-379d-4985-85e7-78ed571338af
10:29:49 [Debug] AuthorizationHandler No valid authorization policies for session.
10:29:49 [Debug] AuthorizationHandler No valid roles for session.
10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authorization.DefaultAuthorizationService Authorization failed.
10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Internal.ControllerActionInvoker Authorization failed for the request at filter 'Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Authorization.AuthorizeFilter'.
10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.ChallengeResult Executing ChallengeResult with authentication schemes (Cookies).
10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authentication.Cookies.CookieAuthenticationHandler AuthenticationScheme: Cookies was challenged.
10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Internal.ControllerActionInvoker Executed action UniversalDashboard.Controllers.ComponentController.GetEndpoint (UniversalDashboard) in 2.393ms
10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Session.DistributedSession Session started; Key:4ec60dfb-f1e2-77ed-bd8f-af5f8494d9c9, Id:f3c42067-29ef-53f9-2747-5e33b2e1f6a6
10:29:49 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.Internal.WebHost Request finished in 15.4597ms 401

i’m using this release: https://github.com/ironmansoftware/universal-dashboard-enterprise/releases/tag/nightly.20191211.1

Am i doing something wrong ???

1 Like

i tried the new nightly but the problem is stiil present, i know have an error 500 instead of a 401 … :frowning:

i enabled logging, and when i do a start-udrestapi i have the following warning:

23:22:56 [Info] StartDashboardCommand  -  - False
23:22:57 [Debug] CustomAssemblyLoadContext Pointer Size:8
23:22:57 [Debug] CustomAssemblyLoadContext Loading files in native directory: C:\temp\universaldashboard\net472\runtimes\win-x64\native
23:22:57 [Warn] CustomAssemblyLoadContext Native file path does not exist. Universal Dashboard may not work. C:\temp\universaldashboard\net472\runtimes\win-x64\native
23:22:57 [Debug] EndpointService Register() 7618430e-b194-4e45-b362-c1c0648e1bd3 /test
23:22:57 [Debug] EndpointService Register() login

I’m not sure that the warning is related - CustomAssemblyLoadContext Native file path does not exist

Fixed in the latest version

The nightly was failing. I fixed the issue with it and you shouldn’t get the 500 error any more.

1 Like

Yes the error is fixed, even if the warning is still present when u start the server.
Roles seems broken too as described in my initial post, i got a 401 unauthorized, even if the token contains the right role

Ok. I will file a bug and look to get that fixed.

Thanks

1 Like

in this type of case do you prefer an issue on you github directly ?

Yeah. In the case of a bug like this feel free to open an issue on GitHub. I’ve already filed one for this case but feel free to do so in the future.

1 Like

I’ve fixed an issue with REST API roles and will be in tonight’s build. Please give that a shot and let me know if it works for you.

1 Like

The fix doest no appear in the last nightly of UD Enterprise.
You did put a milestone on this issue, so i can wait for the 2.8.1 :slight_smile:

This was in last night’s build…

These are the tests that have been added to check for role access. Am I missing a test case?

Context "authenticated endpoint" {
        $AdminEndpoint = New-UDEndpoint -Url "admin" -Method "GET" -endpoint {
            "Admin"

$UserEndpoint = New-UDEndpoint -Url "notAdmin" -Method "GET" -endpoint {
            "User"
        } -AuthorizedRole @("Admin", "User")

$Server = Start-UDRestApi -Port 10001 -Endpoint @($AdminEndpoint, $UserEndpoint) -AuthenticationMethod (
            New-UDAuthenticationMethod -Issuer "Adam"
        )

It "should return admin to admin" {
            $Token = Grant-UDJsonWebToken -UserName "adam" -Role "Admin" -Issuer "Adam"
            Invoke-RestMethod http://localhost:10001/api/admin -Headers @{ Authorization = "Bearer $Token" } -ContentType "application/json" | should be "Admin"
        }

It "should not return admin to user" {
            $Token = Grant-UDJsonWebToken -UserName "adam" -Role "User" -Issuer "Adam"

try {
                Invoke-RestMethod http://localhost:10001/api/admin -Headers @{ Authorization = "Bearer $Token" } -ContentType "application/json"
                $true | should be $false
            }
            catch {

}
        }

It "should return user to user" {
            $Token = Grant-UDJsonWebToken -UserName "adam" -Role "User" -Issuer "Adam"
            Invoke-RestMethod http://localhost:10001/api/notAdmin -Headers @{ Authorization = "Bearer $Token" } -ContentType "application/json" | should be "User"
        }

It "should return user  to admin" {
            $Token = Grant-UDJsonWebToken -UserName "adam" -Role "Admin" -Issuer "Adam"
            Invoke-RestMethod http://localhost:10001/api/notAdmin -Headers @{ Authorization = "Bearer $Token" } -ContentType "application/json" | should be "User"
        }

$Server| Stop-UDDashboard
        Stop-UDRestApi $Server
    }

you are right it’s working … the only difference i see, is that the grant-udtoken is invoked inside the authmethod in my case :confused: and it’s still not working …

Ok. Adding a test case for that to see if I can reproduce locally.

This is working for me in the latest:

$AdminEndpoint = New-UDEndpoint -Url "admin" -Method "GET" -endpoint {
            "Admin"

$UserEndpoint = New-UDEndpoint -Url "notAdmin" -Method "GET" -endpoint {
            "User"
        } -AuthorizedRole @("Admin", "User")

$Server = Start-UDRestApi -Port 10001 -Endpoint @($AdminEndpoint, $UserEndpoint) -AuthenticationMethod @(
            New-UDAuthenticationMethod -Issuer "Adam"
            New-UDAuthenticationMethod -Endpoint {
                param([PSCredential]$Credential)
                $role = @('Admin')
                $token = Grant-UDJsonWebToken -Identity $Credential.UserName -Role $role -Issuer 'Adam'
                New-UDAuthenticationResult -Success -UserName $Credential.UserName -Token $token -Role $role
              }
        )
$Token = (Invoke-RestMethod http://localhost:10001/api/login -Method POST -Body @{ UserName = "Admin"; Password = "Test" }).Token
Invoke-RestMethod http://localhost:10001/api/admin -Headers @{ Authorization = "Bearer $Token" } -ContentType "application/json" | should be "Admin"

I think the trick is that I specified 2 auth methods. One is for the auth creds and then one is for the JWT.

If the remove the first AuthMethod, I get 401s for a bunch of my tests.

ok, so do i need to specify 2 auth methods ? or is this a bug ?? :slight_smile:

After some thought, I’m going to call this expected behavior but it needs to be documented.

The reason is that you need a way to configure the JWT options like Issuer and SigningKey. That’s why we need the additional authentication method.

I’ll file an issue to get something documented for this.

Ah … i touhgt i could do this with grant-udtoken directly, so i was wrong from the start xD sorry :stuck_out_tongue: