How to refresh a table in another object's OnClick handler?

Product: PowerShell Universal
Version: 2.4.0

I’m new to PowerShell Universal, so although I did see there was a similar question to this asked, I didn’t understand the reply, and what I’m trying to achieve is slightly different anyway.

I’ve created a dashboard that contains a chart and a table side by side, and I’d like to make it so that when one of the values in the chart is clicked, the table is refreshed, with a filter set to show only entries that have that value.

I saw in another thread the response was “wrap it in a UDDynamic” but I don’t fully understand how to do that.

Here’s my code:

New-UDDashboard -Title "Students" -Content {
    if ($Cache:StudentData -eq $null) {
        # Define clear text string for username and password
        [string]$userName = REDACTED
        [string]$userPassword = REDACTED

# Convert to SecureString
        [securestring]$secStringPassword = ConvertTo-SecureString $userPassword -AsPlainText -Force

[pscredential]$credObject = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ($userName, $secStringPassword)

$Cache:StudentData = Invoke-DbaQuery -SqlInstance REDACTED -SqlCredential $credObject -Database REDACTED -Query REDACTED | ForEach-Object {
            @{ 
                "Student ID" = $_."Student number"
                "Preferred First Name" = $_."First Name"
                Surname = $_.Surname
                "Date of Birth" = (Get-Date $_."Date of Birth" -uformat "%d/%m/%Y")
                "Enrolment Status" = if ($_."Student Status" -eq "E") {"Enrolled"} elseif ($_."Student Status" -eq "A") {"Applicant"} else {"Unknown"}
            }
        }
    }
    New-UDRow -Columns {
        New-UDColumn -SmallSize 6 -MediumSize 6 -LargeSize 6 {
            New-UDCard -Title "Chart" -Content {
                $ChartData = [PSCustomObject]@{ Name = "Enrolled"; value = (($Cache:StudentData) | Where-Object {$_."Enrolment Status" -eq "Enrolled"}).Count }, [PSCustomObject]@{ Name = "Applicant"; value = (($Cache:StudentData) | Where-Object {$_."Enrolment Status" -eq "Applicant"}).Count }
                New-UDChartJS -Type 'doughnut' -Data $ChartData -DataProperty 'Value' -LabelProperty 'Name' -OnClick { $ClickHandlerData = ConvertFrom-Json $Body; ** HERE is where I want to refresh the table ** } -BackgroundColor ("darkblue", "blue") -HoverBackgroundColor "darkmagenta"
            }
        }
        New-UDColumn -SmallSize 6 -MediumSize 6 -LargeSize 6 {
            New-UDTable -Title "Students" -LoadData {
                $TableData = ConvertFrom-Json $Body

<# $Body will contain
                    filters: []
                    orderBy: undefined
                    orderDirection: ""
                    page: 0
                    pageSize: 5
                    properties: (5) ["Student ID", "Preferred First Name", "Surname", "Date of Birth", "Enrolment Status"]
                    search: ""
                    totalCount: 0
                #>

if ($Cache:StudentData -eq $null) {
                    # Define clear text string for username and password
                    [string]$userName = REDACTED
                    [string]$userPassword = REDACTED

# Convert to SecureString
                    [securestring]$secStringPassword = ConvertTo-SecureString $userPassword -AsPlainText -Force

[pscredential]$credObject = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ($userName, $secStringPassword)

$Cache:StudentData = Invoke-DbaQuery -SqlInstance REDACTED -SqlCredential $credObject -Database REDACTED -Query REDACTED | ForEach-Object {
                        @{ 
                            "Student ID" = $_."Student number"
                            "Preferred First Name" = $_."First Name"
                            Surname = $_.Surname
                            "Date of Birth" = (Get-Date $_."Date of Birth" -uformat "%d/%m/%Y")
                            "Enrolment Status" = if ($_."Student Status" -eq "E") {"Enrolled"} elseif ($_."Student Status" -eq "A") {"Applicant"} else {"Unknown"}
                        }
                    }
                }
                $PageSize = $TableData.PageSize 
                # Calculate the number of rows to skip
                $Offset = $TableData.Page * $PageSize
                $PageEnd = $Offset + $PageSize - 1
                if ($TableData.Filters) {
                    $whereFilters = foreach ($filter in $TableData.Filters) {
                        '$_."{0}" -like "*{1}*"' -f $filter.id, $filter.value
                    }

$whereScriptBlock = [scriptblock]::Create($whereFilters -join ' -and ')
                    $SessionData = $Cache:StudentData | Where-Object -FilterScript $whereScriptBlock
                    $Count = $SessionData.Count
                    $PageData = $SessionData[$Offset..$PageEnd]
                } else {
                    $Count = $Cache:StudentData.Count
                    $PageData = $Cache:StudentData[$Offset..$PageEnd]
                }

$PageData | Out-UDTableData -Page $TableData.page -TotalCount $Count -Properties $TableData.properties
            } -Columns @(
                New-UDTableColumn -Property 'Student ID' -ShowFilter -FilterType Text
                New-UDTableColumn -Property 'Preferred First Name' -ShowFilter -FilterType Text
                New-UDTableColumn -Property 'Surname' -ShowFilter -FilterType Text
                New-UDTableColumn -Property 'Date of Birth'
                New-UDTableColumn -Property 'Enrolment Status' -ShowFilter -FilterType Select
            ) -PageSize 10 -ShowPagination
        }
    }
} -DefaultTheme Dark

I also don’t really get how the $Cache scope works, e.g. does it invalidate itself after some period of time? if so how do I detect that? or do I need to do some sort of revalidation myself? maybe the UDDynamic can help with this?

Finally how do I change the text colour on the chart labels? Currently it’s a gray colour which doesn’t show up well in the dark theme. I tried Color or LabelColor but neither of those seem to work.

Element - Forcing-an-element-to-reload - PowerShell Universal

Specify an ID on the table, and use sync-udelement -id to reload it.

1 Like

@PorreKaj thanks that’s part of the solution, but how do I change the table’s filter settings before forcing it to reload?