Error output in $Job variable?

Product: PowerShell Universal
Version: 3.3.5

Hi, is it possible to access the error output in $Job variable? I’m not talking about regular output but specifically the error output.

Thanks!

In terms of the $Job variable, are you talking about calling Get-PSUJob and then trying to look at the error records?

In this specific case I’m looking to use the error output in a failed job trigger. The trigger is using the $Job variable as param where I’d like to fetch the error output. However, I can’t find this property in the variable.

I also tried running Get-PSUJob and Get-PSUJobOutput, but there is no error output to be found.

Here’s the job for reference:

I was able to accomplish this with this example.

Script.ps1

throw "No!"

Failed.ps1

param($Job)

Get-PSUJobOutput -JobId $Job.Id

triggers.ps1

New-PSUTrigger -Name "Failed" -EventType "JobFailed" -Environment "Default" -TriggerScript "Failed.ps1"

The trigger then receives the error output.

This is my test script (with faulty variable) and ErrorAction is set to Stop on the script:

Try {

Connect-Graph -TenantId $TenantId -AppId $AppId -Certificate $Certificates | Out-Null

} Catch {

Write-PSUError $_
} 

When I run Get-PSUJobOutput on the job, I get nothing. The record does show in the error section in the Web UI, however, UI also shows the Job as “Success” even though it failed. I guess Write-PSUError in the Catch clause doesn’t make the script seem as failed, even though error action is stop. Anyway, shouldn’t data written with Write-PSUError show up with Get-PSUJobOutput?.

For the time being, I settled for this:

Try {

Connect-Graph -TenantId $TenantId -AppId $AppId -Certificate $Certificates | Out-Null

} Catch {

$ErrorMessage = $_.Exception.Message + "`nLine " + ($_.InvocationInfo.ScriptLineNumber).ToString() + ": " + ($_.InvocationInfo.Line).Trim()
    Throw($ErrorMessage)
} 

This works as well as your example.

Write-PSUError was intended to allow capturing error output without failing the script.

That said, I’m surprised it doesn’t show up in the Get-PSUJobOutput result. I’m glad you found a workaround.

1 Like

I would like to generate an email when a scheduled task fails.
The email should include the error message, the name of the script, and the time.
I see no examples of this. Am I missing something?
Thanks