"Error executing job: Did not receive port from client process." when using non-Admin Run As Account

Product: PowerShell Universal
Version: 2.5.4 & 2.4.0
PowerShell Version: 5.1 & 7.1.4
Running as Service with ServiceAccount configured.

So I am seeing an issue when trying to run a script as a non-admin account. The account has been given the “Log on as a batch job” permission as per the documentation. Through the debugging I’ve done, I can see an error message in the PowerShellCore/Operation event log:

Log Name:      PowerShellCore/Operational
Source:        PowerShellCore
Date:          11/18/2021 1:17:40 PM
Event ID:      4102
Task Category: Executing Pipeline
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      None
User:          <Run As Account>
Computer:      <PSU server name>
Description:
Error Message = The specified drive root "C:\Users\<Service Account>\AppData\Local\Temp\" either does not exist, or it is not a folder.
Fully Qualified Error ID = DriveRootError

Provider name = FileSystem

Context:
        Severity = Warning
        Host Name = ConsoleHost
        Host Version = 7.1.4
        Host ID = 4f1723b1-20f5-48e6-8314-44b6f24d0c91
        Host Application = C:\Program Files\PowerShell\7\pwsh.dll -NoProfile -Command & { [System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFrom('C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal\Host\host.dll') | Out-Null; [UniversalHost.AgentService]::StartJob(60826, 7008, $False, 50295) }
        Engine Version = 
        Runspace ID = 
        Pipeline ID = 
        Command Name = 
        Command Type = 
        Script Name = 
        Command Path = 
        Sequence Number = 4
        User = <Run As Account>
        Connected User = 
        Shell ID = Microsoft.PowerShell

User Data:

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="PowerShellCore" Guid="{f90714a8-5509-434a-bf6d-b1624c8a19a2}" />
    <EventID>4102</EventID>
    <Version>1</Version>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>106</Task>
    <Opcode>19</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x0</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-11-18T19:17:40.547392300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>855004</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="7748" ThreadID="5592" />
    <Channel>PowerShellCore/Operational</Channel>
    <Computer><PSU Server></Computer>
    <Security UserID="<Run As SID>" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="ContextInfo">        Severity = Warning
        Host Name = ConsoleHost
        Host Version = 7.1.4
        Host ID = 4f1723b1-20f5-48e6-8314-44b6f24d0c91
        Host Application = C:\Program Files\PowerShell\7\pwsh.dll -NoProfile -Command &amp; { [System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFrom('C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal\Host\host.dll') | Out-Null; [UniversalHost.AgentService]::StartJob(60826, 7008, $False, 50295) }
        Engine Version = 
        Runspace ID = 
        Pipeline ID = 
        Command Name = 
        Command Type = 
        Script Name = 
        Command Path = 
        Sequence Number = 4
        User =<Run As Account>
        Connected User = 
        Shell ID = Microsoft.PowerShell
</Data>
    <Data Name="UserData">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="Payload">Error Message = The specified drive root "C:\Users\<Service Account>\AppData\Local\Temp\" either does not exist, or it is not a folder.
Fully Qualified Error ID = DriveRootError

Provider name = FileSystem
</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Checking the path, it does exist, however the user that is running the command is not given access to that path, as it’s under a different user profile. When I give the Run As user permission to that temp folder, then this error does not occur any more. There is a different error that I have posted about separately that occurs once this is cleared, but it sounds like that would be a non-related issue.
Based on the documentation, I did enable the Debug logging using the appsettings.json, however given the permissions part, I do not see any files getting created there (based on another post I found) or anything additional in the logs under ProgramData/PowerShellUniversal that seems to be useful. As giving permission to that path “fixes” the error, I don’t know if I would expect any logs under that temp folder or not.

I guess I don’t know that this is expected behavior for Run As accounts, but I did not find anything regarding file permissions needed in the documentation.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

This issue seems to be cropping up for others as well. I’m going to get my lab configured in this way and see if I can reproduce it.

cc: @mtndrew11

Thanks for the info @adam. This all looks very similar to my environment (same version PSU, PS, running with SA etc.). I’m going to continue to look into this on my environment as well.

Hi @adam, I have not been able to track anything down on this issue of users not being able to run scripts from a dashboard. The only way I’ve been able to get it to work is adding the user account to the local administrator’s group on the server running PSU.

Did you have any finding or come across anything on this yet?

Just a FYI, I just tried this again with 2.6.2, and this still occurs. I didn’t see that this specifically had been addressed, so I assume you are still working on it. Thank you.