Dashboard will not open from the VSCode extension

Product: PowerShell Universal
Version: 2.1.2

After creating a new dashboard I refresh the dashboard list in the dashboard list in VSCode, try and open it, and get this error.

Error running command powershell-universal.openDashboardFile: Running the contributed command: ‘powershell-universal.openDashboardFile’ failed… This is likely caused by the extension that contributes powershell-universal.openDashboardFile.

Any dashboards I have previously created open fine. The older dashboards were created on version 1.X of Universal. This is the first time I’ve created a dashboard since upgrading to 2.X.

Trying to see what is going on with this, I opened the dashboard details page from the admin console. the page loads fine, but when I switch from the Settings tab to any other tab I get these errors

And it stays when I switch back to the settings tab.

I have the same issue. Today I tried to start with PU & VSCode. I have even installed a fresh Windows 10 virtual machine with VSCode (1.58.0) and the 2.1.2 msi. The service is running and the admin page is accessible. However the extension I can not get working.

The exact same error I get on Mac OSX and latest download. I’m not sure what is going on but on 3 systems I can’t get PU working with the extension.

I also tried using the install method from Powershell but gives me the same results. Sometimes I also get the error: failed to query configurations

@adam Do you have any idea’s here? Any new dashboard I create has this issue. I can’t edit them from the vscode extension, and I can’t view any of the tabs from the admin dashboard.

Strange. You are creating the dashboards within the admin console and this happens? Or are you creating them from the dashboards.ps1 file?

As for the extension, I’m trying to get to the bottom of why this fails in so many environments. I have a call scheduled this week to look at this issue with another customer so hopefully I can figure out what’s happening there.

Correct. I create a dashboard from the admin console and this happens. I can try creating a dashboard through the dashboards.ps1 when I get in the office tomorrow.

Can you also open the developer tools in your browser when this is happening? I’m mostly curious as to what is being returned because it seems like it may be returning something that isn’t JSON when trying to load those tabs. You can press F12 and view the network tab to see the requests that may be causing this.

Just for your information, just updated to 1.58.2 (minor update) and issue stays the same.

Thanks for the reply Adam! Let’s hope it can be fixed for your other customers as well.

I’ve released some updates to the VS Code extension to fix a bunch of issues and hopefully help diagnosis connection issues: Extension Changelog - PowerShell Universal

Please try upgrading to see if any other information is reported.

Still getting an error when trying to open a dashboard created in 2.1.2 Dashboards created in 1.X.X still open fine.

Error running command powershell-universal.openDashboardFile: Running the contributed command: ‘powershell-universal.openDashboardFile’ failed… This is likely caused by the extension that contributes powershell-universal.openDashboardFile.

I think we got to the bottom of it. I’ll release a new version today that should resolve this. You should be seeing this in the Output \ Log (Extension Host) channel.

EDIT: The fix for this is on the way to the Marketplace. Should be available within the hour.

Just got the update, now on extension version 2.0.1. I am able to open dashboards in the extension now.

Any ideas on the other error? I thought they were related, but I have the same issue on older dashboards. I can go to any tab other than Logs with the expected result. Once I click the logs tab I get the JSON errors.

That one I’m not sure about yet.

Can you right click on the dashboard in VS Code and click View Log? Do you see logs there?

Yes, the log shows up in the output terminal.

1 Like