Accessing Secret variables from dashboards

Hey so if I store a secret variable how do I retrieve it from a dashboard?

Thanks

1.4 will add this functionality.

For the time being, you will have to use Get-Secret from the MSFT secret management module.

Can you give more of an example? Will Get-Secret just work or do I have to load a module?

The module is included in Universal so depending on how you have it installed, you can import it from the installation directory.

For example, if you installed via MSI.

Import-Module "${env:ProgramFiles(x86)}\Universal\Microsoft.PowerShell.SecretManagement\0.2.1\Microsoft.PowerShell.SecretManagement.psd1"

Then you can just get your secrets out.

$SuperSecretPassword = Get-Secret -Name 'MySecret' -AsPlainText

Great,

Thanks Very much

Adam if I want to import the UD module into powershell what file is it?

I want to look at the components attributes.

I tried:

Import-Module “C:\Program Files x86)\Universal\UniversalDashboard\Frameworks\v3\UniversalDashboard.psd1”

and

Import-Module “C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal\Universal.psd1”

Both of these dont work.

Frameworks are stored here:

C:\ProgramData\PowerShellUniversal\Dashboard\Frameworks\UniversalDashboard

You’ll need to import the Universal module first.

If you install the VS Code extension for Universal, it has an import modules button.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ironmansoftware.powershell-universal

I dont use VS and dont really want too.

As for the above

Import-Module : Could not load file or assembly ‘Newtonsoft.Json, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
At line:1 char:1

• Import-Module “C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal\Universal.psd1”
  •   + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Import-Module], FileNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.FileNotFoundException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleComma

Are you running that in PowerShell.exe?

Yes I am

Can you try loading NewtonSoft directly? Another module may be conflicting with the newtonsoft version.

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFrom("C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal\NewtonSoft.Json.dll")

The first line ran

But the second still errors

Import-Module : Could not load file or assembly ‘Newtonsoft.Json, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
At line:1 char:1

• Import-Module “C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal\Universal.psd1”
  •   + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Import-Module], FileNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.FileNotFoundException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

I just realized we have 2 different versions of newtonsoft (arrrrgghhhh newtonsoft versions…).

What if you load from the cmdlets directory?

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFrom("C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal\Cmdlets\NewtonSoft.Json.dll")
Import-Module “C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal\Cmdlets\Universal.psd1”

Looks good let me try and load the dashboard module now

Its alive :smiley: