Multiple Roles for RBAC for Dashboards

Product: PowerShell Universal
Version: 1.5.10

Wondering if there is a way to assign multiple roles to a dashboard for access:

currently:
$Pages += New-UDPage -Name ‘Test’ -Content {
New-UDTypography -Text “This is what displays”
} -NavigationLayout permanent -Role ‘PageAccess’

Wondering about the following (which doesn’t seem to work, but i’m wondering if it’s possible or needs to be addressed differently):
$Pages += New-UDPage -Name ‘Test’ -Content {
New-UDTypography -Text “This is what displays”
} -NavigationLayout permanent -Role ‘PageAccess’,‘Administrator’,‘AdditionalRole’

We just added support for multiple roles on a dashboard level:

New-PSUDashboard -Name xyz -Role @("Admin", "PageAccess") 

But we have not implemented it on a page level. I will open an issue for this and get it added in our next version.

1 Like

Thanks as always Adam… much appreciated

@adam was this ever addressed? I am looking into a better way to handle RBA down to the page level where it’s a bit easier to manage.

Currently, I’m doing something like this but I also have to grant those same roles in the dashboard as well. Kind of weird that I have to grant the admin access to things as well.

Let me know if you would like more information.

What you are using is what we implemented in based on this discussion. The problem was that you could only assign a single role to a page but now can assign multiple.

I guess I’d like to better understand what you’re after and then can make some suggestions.

Ahh my mistake.

What I was trying to do was simplify the RBA for a dashboard that has many pages.

• My environment has a few custom roles

• Boarding
    • request
  • This dashboard has all of the roles (minus reader) since all of those roles are used within a page somewhere.

After going over the documentation and reading what a few others were doing is this best practice to control roles per page?

$UDScriptRoot = $PSScriptRoot

<# RBA for pages #>
$InherRoles    = @('Administrator', 'Operator', 'Execute')
$ReqestRoles   = $InherRoles + 'Request'
$BoardingRoles = $InherRoles + 'Boarding'
$ToolsRoles    = $InherRoles + 'Boarding' + 'Request'

$RootNavigation = {  
    New-UDListItem -Label "Welcome! $User" -Icon (New-UDIcon -Icon user)
    New-UDListItem -Label "Boarding" -Icon (New-UDIcon -Icon Users) -OnClick {
        Invoke-UDRedirect -Url '/boarding'
    }
    New-UDListItem -Label "Request" -Icon (New-UDIcon -Icon AddressBook) -OnClick {
        Invoke-UDRedirect -Url '/request'
    }
    New-UDListItem -Label "Tools" -Icon (New-UDIcon -Icon  Toolbox) -Children {
        New-UDListItem -Label "Lookup AD User" -Href '/ADUser'  
    }

}

$Pages = @()

$Pages += New-UDPage -Name "Boarding" -Content { 
    New-UDTabs -Tabs {
        New-UDTab -Text 'AD User Lookup' -Content { . "$UDScriptRoot\boarding\ADUserLookup.ps1" }
        New-UDTab -Text 'Offboard' -Content { . "$UDScriptRoot\boarding\Offboard.ps1" }
    }
} -Role $BoardingRoles

$Pages += New-UDPage -Name 'Request' -Content { . "$UDScriptRoot\Request\Printer.ps1" } -Role $ReqestRoles 
$Pages += New-UDPage -Name 'ADUser' -Content { .  "$UDScriptRoot\boarding\ADUserLookup.ps1" } -Role $ToolsRoles 
$Pages += New-UDPage -Name 'Home' -Content { . "$UDScriptRoot\Home.ps1" } -Role $InherRoles

New-UDDashboard -Title 'Service Delivery' -Pages $Pages -LoadNavigation $RootNavigation
  • Also in this case I have navigation items showing up for a user that might not have access to that page. Is there an easy way to hide that?

Was this built in a way that you have to grant Admin access to everything even if that page might have reader access or something?

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks

After doing some more research I found the following https://github.com/ironmansoftware/universal-active-directory/blob/main/dashboards/ActiveDirectory/ActiveDirectory.ps1#L27

Protect-UDSection -Role @("Administrator", "OtherRole") -Children {
        New-UDListItem -Label "Tools" -Icon (New-UDIcon -Icon Users) -OnClick {
            Invoke-UDRedirect -Url '/tools'
        }
    }

I think you’re going about this as designed. I’d be open to hear some ideas for making it easier. As for granting administrator to everything, I think that makes sense and we should probably just implement that internally.