Internal Error with Forms Authentication

I’m currently using Forms authentication with role-based authorization rules built into my login process.

Today, when I came in my Developers and Support staff, were complaining about an error on login. When looking over my logs it seems Authentication and Authorization are still working but for some reason, UD will not move beyond the login pages after logging in.

It spits out this error:

The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error. For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.

Once you just remove the /login from the page URL they are able to get into the application without issue.

Nothing has changed in my configuration overnight and this was working fine up until today. I’m stumped and can’t seem to find any useful solutions online. Any help would be greatly appreicated.

That is the first time I’ve seen that. Is that error in the UD log or in the event log?

@adam it’s in the UD Debug Log

13:38:57 [Debug] AuthenticationController Login
13:38:59 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authentication.Cookies.CookieAuthenticationHandler AuthenticationScheme: Cookies signed in.
13:38:59 [Error] AuthenticationController Error while authenticating user. The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error. For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.
13:38:59 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Internal.ControllerActionInvoker Executed action method UniversalDashboard.Controllers.AuthenticationController.Login (UniversalDashboard), returned result Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.JsonResult in 1967.6429ms.
13:38:59 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Formatters.Json.Internal.JsonResultExecutor Executing JsonResult, writing value of type ‘<>f__AnonymousType1`1[[System.String, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]’.
13:38:59 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Internal.ControllerActionInvoker Executed action UniversalDashboard.Controllers.AuthenticationController.Login (UniversalDashboard) in 1981.8998ms
13:38:59 [Info] Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.Internal.WebHost Request finished in 1992.8459ms 200 application/json; charset=utf-8

I’ve tried adding a service model to the webconfig to set IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults to true but I’m not getting any other errors messages other than the one stated in the log.

I Upgraded to 2.7.0 from 2.6.2 thinking maybe I could see something change. But now all I see is a blue spinning box and nothing loads.

Can you make sure to Ctrl+F5 your browser to ensure the previous versions JavaScript isn’t cached?

I tried that and i’m still seeing the same results after updating to 2.7.0 Just the spinning square tried several different browsers and tried loading the dashboard from a test machine with nothing installed currently all the same.

How did you upgrade the module? In your IIS website, did you delete all the files before putting in the new version?

We’ve also updated our guidance on how to deploy UD on IIS. Rather than copying all the files to the websites directory, you can instead install the UD module in the regular $PSModulePath and load it from there in IIS. See the updated docs: https://docs.universaldashboard.io/webserver/running-dashboards/iis

Also, press F12 in your browser to see if there is a JavaScript error. Could be helpful.

I’ll try deploying the update with the new documentation and see what happens. Not seeing any java errors in the dev console currently.

@adam Once I’ve got the Env updated do I need to put my dashboard.ps1 file in the the modules folder or should it remain in the wwwroot folder? I can’t seem to get my dashboard to start with this setup.

I’m seeing this error in the logs:

Start-UDDashboard : The file C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\Univers
alDashboard\2.7.0\net472…\poshud\dashboard.ps1 did not return a valid
dashboard
At C:\inetpub\wwwroot\dashboard.ps1:63 char:1

• Start-UDDashboard -Wait -Dashboard ($Dashboard) -Endpoint $Endpoints …
  •   + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Start-UDDashboard], Exception
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Exception,UniversalDashboard.Cmdlets.Star 
     tDashboardCommand

Here is a gist of my dashboard.ps1 : https://gist.github.com/aggiebck/79bd708e61ecabffa18e537ea4e9b6ee

I got it working seems there was a older switch for fontawesome icons that was breaking the Start Dashboard command. After removing it my footer and side nav bar are back to default but I can work that out. This also solved my login issue @adam. Seems maybe something is up with 2.6.2 but I can’t say for sure.

1 Like